Blest be the milk of Meshe!

I was glad to see that TVTropes brought up this aspect of LHoD, as it was one that I’m kind of thrown off by. I don’t know, the references to the prophet Meshe just don’t seem believeable to me. While I understand why Le Guin does this, and i don’t really have a problem with the typical “By Meshe!” explatives, I just can’t take it seriously that the Yomeshta specifically reference Mehse’s breasts… maybe i’m just being immature but it always takes me out of the story whenever they do that (unless the reference itself is actually supposed to be satiristic), especially after all the male-gender pronouns Le Guin uses…

Anybody else giggle immaturely whenever someone yells out “BY MESHE’S SWEET MILK!”? I hope its not just me lol…

1 thought on “Blest be the milk of Meshe!

1. So I was rushing out the door when I wrote this, and reading over my post, I feel like I should make a few updates/clarifications… I guess what throws me off or more what I find interesting about the whole yemeshta thing is how they praise meshe as a very motherly character in stark contrast to their androgynous society. I was under the impression that being specifically one sex was frowned upon…