Pulp Fiction Medium

(I apologize profusely for my rambling. Honestly, I had a really hard time putting my thoughts into words this time around!)

In regards to how the pulp magazine medium matters, I did not so much focus on the stories as I did the magazine itself. While imagining actually flipping through the magazine, I thought about how thin the pages would be compared to a bound book. The reason the thought stuck with me is because I went back to look at Gernsback’s introduction “Amazing Stories” and how heĀ really tried to defend Science Fiction so people would at least give it a chance. There is also the fact that he kept reiterating that there would be actual science within the stories, which I took as meaning that he wanted people to look at this genre as “serious literature.” When I think of thin magazine pages compared to those of a novel, one seems quite a bit cheaper than the other. Having these stories in a pulp magazine medium meant being able to print them in bulk for a low price, but doing so, I think, could have possibly cheapened the genre itself too. After all, why would serious literature be printed on something so cheap? I do not know where I am going with this, honestly. I just feel like maybe Gernsback thought he had to really defend Science Fiction because of the medium they chose in regards to getting these stories out. They were able to print for cheap and sell them at a reasonable price, but they had to almost sacrifice how serious people would look at the genre itself.