H. P. Lovecraft, “The Call of Cthulhu”

“Locally, interest was intensified by the obscurity of the cause of death…. Physicians were unable to find any visible disorder, but concluded after perplexed debate that some obscure lesion of the heart, induced by the brisk ascent of so steep a hill by so elderly a man, was responsible for the end. At the time I saw no reason to dissent from this dictum, but latterly I am inclined to wonder–and more than wonder.”

As a whole, the Cthulhu Mythos should not be taken at much deeper than face value. It is in many ways a fantastical and thoroughly fictional tale. However, I really identified with this passage in particular with regards to the Mythos because it gave introduction to the whole idea of Cthulhu. Somewhat familiar in this passage’s adaptation to the real world is the sense of paranoia that manifests itself and envelops in a society following an interesting occurrence. I have no doubt that plenty of cults or schools of thought in history, even modern-day, were founded and developed due to an inexplicable event. The unexplained is perhaps the most fearsome, and I believe that Lovecraft is commenting on the curious nature of humanity with juxtaposition to the mysterious.

Lovecraft, H.P. “The Call of Cthulhu.” The Call of Cthulhu and Other Weird Stories. Ed. S.T. Joshi. New York: Penguin Books, 1999. 140. Kindle Edition.